Cold brew is quite different from just iced coffee.
Whereas it’s possible to make your coffee cold instantaneously, it will taste very differently from a cold brew that’s infused for many hours.
Why go for cold brew? Because the coffee is infused and kept in the fridge, the result is a coffee that’s less acid, less bitter and much smoother that a regular iced coffee. By brewing the coffee, the aromas come out even more and the taste of the coffee is so much better. Plus, you can make a good portion of cold brew and keep it for several days in the fridge so you can use it every day on hot summer days.
How to make cold brew? It’s simpler than what you can think!
- 3/4 cup specialty coffee beans ground coarsely
- 4 cups of water at room temperature
- Keep the rest in the fridge for up to 10 days to use throughout the days. Using a French press (or another container), put the grids in the French Press, add the water and cover the lid without pressing it down.
- Put in the fridge for 16 to 24 hours.
- Take out and gently push down the French Press lid to keep all the coffee grinds at the bottom.
- Using a reusable coffee filter, pour the coffee through the filter and into a jar.
If you're using a container other than the french press, simply filter the coffee twice.
Your cold brew is ready!
Add water or milk, depending on your preference. It is usually a 1 to 1 ratio coffee to milk or water.
Keep the rest in the fridge for up to 10 days.